Juan Carlos Peñafiel
- Exercise of the profession in tax matters since 2000.
- Completion of an administrative career in the Servicio de Rentas Internas (Internal Revenue Service) (Departments: claims, audit and attorney) (2000 – 2004)
- Legal analyst of administrative claims regarding Income Tax,Value Added Tax (VAT), Special Consumption Tax (ICE), Tax on Vehicular Registration, among others.
- Tax Attorney before the District Tax Litigation Court and before the Supreme Court of Justice in contentious tax proceedings of actions challenging administrative resolutions and direct actions
- Senior Associate Lawyer of Bustamante & Bustamante Law Firm (2005 – 2017)
- Comprehensive advice on tax matters, with the practice of services such as Tax Planning, Due Diligences, Tax Recovery, sponsorship in tax litigation before contentious administrative and contentious judicial, sponsorship in tax constitutional actions, advice on international taxation, among others.
- Successful sponsorship in a trial that culminated in the saving of approximately 60 million dollars in tax litigation, through which the oil company’s claim was accepted. This sponsorship challenged tax re-determinations practiced by SRI in 1998, 1999 and 2000.
- Successful sponsorship in a trial that culminated with the saving of US $ 7,580,004.28 in tax litigation, through which a demand against the determination of a 1.5. per thousand tax on total assets (municipal taxes) was accepted.
- Tax recoveries for companies related to the technology, advertising, energy, hydrocarbon and textile industries, among others, for undue payments, payments in excess of income tax, VAT tax credit, Special Consumption Tax, taxes on payments made abroad by local companies not having been able to directly benefit from international agreements to avoid double taxation (CDI)
- Precursor in the return of the advance payment of income tax due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Successful sponsorship in court that culminated in the saving of approximately 6 million dollars in tax litigation and through which the demands of an energy company on tax determinations of income tax were accepted
- FLOR & HURTADO
Member, July 2017
- BUSTAMANTE & BUSTAMANTE
Partner, 1996 to 2017
- INTERNAL RENTS SERVICE
Lawyer, 2000 to 2004
- EQUINOCCIAL INSURANCE
- FREE LEGAL CONSULTANTS PUCE
Collaborator, Advisor in labor and civil law cases
- LATIN AMERICAN CORPORATION FOR DEVELOPMENT
Collaborator: Prison census and analysis of non-sentenced cases
- CORPORATION OF STUDIES AND PUBLICATIONS
Collaborator: Codification of the rules of due process in the Ecuadorian legal system
- PRIVANCE (INSURANCE AGENCY)
- Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, 2011
Master in Tax Law
- Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, 2006
Tax Law Specialist
- University of Salamanca, 2004
Tax Law Specialist
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador, 2011
Spanish, English (intermediate)
Pichincha Bar Association
Ecuadorian Institute of Tax Law
- Tax and Financial Law
- Administrative Law
- Constitutional Law
- Litigation: Tax Litigation and Litigation
- Insurance Law